Independent Consulting February 2009 – Present
Undisclosed Client, Plug-Load Monitoring & Electricity Management
- Develop a comprehensive set of consolidated financial models & near-term budgets,
- Develop revenue & cost models to facilitate end-user pricing and production expense planning,
- Evaluate licensing, direct and indirect sales models for external partnerships and distribution,
- Facilitate investor presentations
Kicker Studio LLC, Industrial & Gestural Design Firm
- Establishment of annual budget & on-going planning processes,
- Creation of regular management and monthly variance reporting,
- Introduction of performance tracking, including baseline (actual) & target utilization and billing rates,
- Growth planning, including establishment of necessary financial targets to support additional headcount,
- Job costing and estimating tools.
The Crucible, Industrial Arts Non-Profit
- Member, Advisory Council to the Board of Directors,
- Streamlined the handling of online transaction processing data,
- Worked with outside accounting staff to improve usability of accounting data,
- Class pricing and enrollment analysis to improve class adoption,
- Work with the Board’s Finance committee on debt consolidation and increase in working capital,
- Development of a comprehensive operating forecast & budget for the next 2 fiscal years, to support donor presentations.
R3 Builders & West Coast Fixtures, Construction & Cabinetry
- Consultant on a variety of financial and strategic planning issues,
- Review and improve their short to mid-term financial (cash-flow) planning and reporting functions,
- Identify proper cost allocations between related firms,
- Help prepare West Coast Fixtures to seek a bank line of credit for expansion,
- Review and suggest improvements in marketing and sales structure and opportunities, including a sales compensation plan.
ABC Legal Services, Inc. Legal services firm
- Act as the Purchasers Representative to conduct due diligence and successfully negotiate the $1.2 million acquisition of a local competitor.
Sockdolager LLC, Arts production & management company
- Managing Member for a sculptural arts group, responsible for the Raygun Gothic Rocketship, a large-scale, interactive art installation.
- Responsible for the establishment and organization of the business, legal, financial and administrative framework within which the project was successfully managed.
- Co-Lead Artist responsible for guiding the project from initial concept, through design engineering, fund raising, fabrication & installation.
- Responsible for all facets of negotiations, permits and fund-raising for a 14 month public installation at Pier 14, on San Francisco’s Embarcadero.
- As Project Manager, supervised 60+ volunteers on a daily basis, through diverse aspects of the project, including fabrication, logistics, fundraising and support, leading to an on-time completion and delivery.
ABC Legal Services, Inc. Seattle WA July 2007 – February 2009
Chief Financial Officer
Serve as the Chief Financial Officer for a $42 million legal services firm, with over 350 employees in 20+ offices in 5 states.
- Overall responsibility for finance, accounting, human resources, corporate & legal administration, utilizing a staff of 17+, as well as outside contractors and vendors.
- Engineered the company’s rapid expansion through 3 acquisitions, subsequent integration of 4 companies (including one prior acquisition), and the later sale of 3 divisions.
- Managed corporate cash flows through extremely rapid growth, including the arrangement of two critical financing events; a $500,000 bridge loan from existing bankers, and a $600,000 short-term private loan, both of which were re-paid on time.
- Directed a corporate re-organization to merge 3 disparate but related entities (S-Corp, C-Corp and an LLC) into a single corporation (S-Corp), with concurrent cost and tax savings.
- Negotiated a new banking relationship, separating the founder’s personal finances from those of the company, and in the process expanded revolving credit facilities from $2.75 million to $4.75 million.
- Oversaw 18-month revenue growth from $22 million to $42 million, while increasing profits by 250%.
- Managed an overhaul of the company’s accounting and administrative practices, including the implementation and transition to a new, interim accounting platform.
- Achieved major recurring cost savings (>$1 million annually), by consolidating services, renegotiating contracts (corporate insurance, employee health insurance, banking), significantly reducing DSO (100+ days to 45 days), minimizing interest expense, etc.
- Responsible for the creation of a human resources function, including an update of all policies, to insure legal compliance and standardization across newly acquired businesses.
CyberSource Corp., Mountain View CA, September 1998 – July 2007
Senior Director Sales Operations, February 2004 – July 2007
- Serve as the Senior Director of Sales Operations for a $1B (market cap) leader in e-commerce payment processing, managing a staff of 3.
- Responsible for daily operational management of a professional sales force of more than 25+.
- Management responsibility for territories, quotas, compensation and commission plans, as well as performance monitoring.
- Re-engineered and managed all revenue planning and forecasting functions, tools and processes, including annual/quarterly/weekly revenue plans and forecasts, sales metric tracking and reporting.
- Managed the international (UK-based) sales & support office of 20+ people.
- Ownership for all headcount planning, budgeting and variance reporting.
- Responsible for the sales CRM system (Siebel), including work-flow management and Oracle Financial integration, utilizing a 2 business analysts.
- Business & Project manager for the development and implementation of a proprietary merchant acquiring application management system and process, integrating application processing and underwriting.
- Key member of the due diligence and executive strategic planning teams. Final project was the $500 million acquisition of a major competitor.
Consultant February 2002 – January 2004
- Consulted with the Company on a continuing, quarterly basis, to update the quarterly Board of Directors report and prepare for the company’s public earnings call.
- 10-week full-time engagement to cover the Sales Operations function;
- Correct significant quota/commission problems,
- Address employee retention issues,
- Provide critical support to a new VP of Sales, who lacked industry experience.
Senior Director, Financial Planning & Analysis, September 1998 – January 2002
- Progressive responsibility for the FP&A function, through rapid growth from 60 employees to 450 employees and back to 150 employees, including an IPO and Secondary offering.
- Progressive responsibility for the corporate planning function, including; revenue forecasting & tracking, corporate budgeting/resource allocation, internal and external reporting, headcount planning and strategic analysis (acquisitions and joint ventures).
- Key team member for the IPO process, and a subsequent secondary offering (NASDAQ CYBS, $50 & $115 million), including all financial forecasts and modeling, organization meeting presentations, financial due diligence and SEC document (S-1) preparations.
- Finance team lead in corporate M&A activities, including strategic assessment, financial & operational due diligence, business modeling and integration planning.
- Developed basic guidelines, processes and content for regular management and investor reporting, including weekly and monthly executive reports, and quarterly Board of Directors presentations; facilitated preparation for quarterly public earnings calls.
- Developed and implemented the company’s first forecasting tools; integrated, complex and highly accurate models (+/- 1% on a consistent basis), they were used for revenue forecasting, production capacity planning and the preparation of external financial guidance for many years.
- Project Manager for the selection, design, build and implementation of a Hyperion Pillar budgeting system.
- Actively sought out by the executive team for analytical & strategic input on a wide range of projects and corporate initiatives.
Bivouac Adventure Travel, Ann Arbor MI, January 1991 – May 1996
Agent & Outfitter
- Responsible for pre-planned and custom itinerary development to natural and cultural history destinations worldwide.
- Supervised the design, development & implementation of a proprietary process to track customer contacts, sales, individual productivity & profitability.
- Managed program development, logistics and sales of international & domestic eco-tourism packages, increasing company revenue by over 30%.
- Administered a business re-organization including new business plan development, strategic planning & debt restructuring.
- Initiated strategic alliances and managed on-going relations with key vendors.
- Led various natural and cultural history trips, managing logistics, finances, etc.
Thunderbird School of Global Management, Glendale AZ
Master of Business Administration; Global Management December 1997
Beta Gamma Sigma, Graduate Business Honor Society
Teaching and/or Project Assistant:
- Professor P. Kinsinger Competitive Intelligence
- Professor F. Carrada-Bravo International Finance & Trade
- Professor R. Mahoney Negotiation & Bargaining